Car Photo 1 of 10
Description Report Fraud
MG M Type Midget, White, for sale in Cave Creek, Arizona, price on application. Production Date: 2/4/1930
Body type: 2 seat sports
Engine: 33250 A (Original Engine Number MG 1166A) the replacement cylinder block is a Morris Minor ohc replacement, very common.
Offered for your inspection and consideration is this very rare and unique 1930 MG "M"type open roadster. This was Abingdon's first attempt at a small sports car and is now being recognized as a desirable collectable.
This MG "M"type was "body off", "frame up"restored in the 1980's. The structural wood, chassis, body fabric, and sheet metal was inspected and replaced or refinished as necessary. (see photos) This "M"type has spent the past 20+ years as part of a vintage car collection in Ohio. This is the "boat tail"body configuration and has the optional, elegant "side mount"spare fitted. The original engine was replaced, some time ago with a suitable replacement. This is an opportunity for and MG or British vintage car enthusiast to purchase a rare MG is very presentable condition The car has not been driven in a while so it will need the normal fuel and electrical system maintenance, engine tuning, fluid change, etc. The car is a solid, MG with a sound undercarriage, good wood, and a great body.
The M type MG, the first Triple-M car built by the MG Car Company, went into production in 1929 having been introduced to the public at the 1928 London Motor Show. The car was based largely on the Morris Minor, introduced in 1928, sharing the same chassis layout, engine and running gear.
The chassis was of conventional, ladder frame design, with side frames pressed into a C section and swept up over the front and rear axles. Chassis cross bracing was by inverted steel channel, riveted to the side frames, while the suspension was by semi-elliptic springs, pinned at their front ends and having shackle plates at their rear.
The cars were fitted with four wheel, 8"diameter drum, brakes, mechanically operated by rod and cable. Early cars were fitted with a separate transmission hand brake.
The engine was a four cylinder unit of 847cc and very similar to the production Morris Minor which itself, derived from an 8hp design from the Wolseley Company which Morris had bought in 1927. The engine featured a single overhead camshaft, driven at the front, by two sets of bevel gears off the crankshaft and utilizing the armature of the vertically mounted, six-volt dynamo to transmit the drive. The short crankshaft had only two main bearings, the one at the front being a large diameter double row ball race, which also located the crankshaft, and the one at the rear being a white metal lined bronze sleeve. An oil pump, driven from a gear on the front of the crankshaft, which also drove the distributor, fed oil under high pressure, via an external filter, to the rear main bearing through a gallery cast into the side of the block and from there to the four big-ends through the hollow crankshaft. The front main bearing was lubricated by a combination of the excess oil from the pump, and oil draining from the cylinder head, venting into the front engine housing and through the ball-race on its way back to the sump. The crankcase and block, manufactured in iron, were in one piece and the crankshaft was fitted through an opening in the front of the block, there being no main bearing caps, resulting in quite a ridged structure. The overhead valves were adjusted through eccentrically mounted fingers, which interplayed between the camshaft and valve stem. The whole engine was very neat and compact and developed 20 bhp, which endowed the car with a top speed of about 65mph - a very creditable performance for the late 1920s.
The engine drove the rear wheels through a non-synchromesh three speed gearbox of Morris design, through a prop shaft fitted with fabric universal joints to a conventional back axle with spiral bevel gears and two star differential.
The standard M type body was an open, two-seater of wooden frame construction covered in a Rexene like fabric, which was commendably light and cheap to make. Later cars had all steel body coverings. Neat, domed topped, cycle wings covered the wheels. No running boards were fitted so the exposed chassis under the door was covered with a deep, slotted metal plate, giving the car a lower look on the road. A small boot at the back contained the spare wheel and some luggage accommodation, the petrol tank being incorporated in the scuttle above the drivers legs and fed the engine by gravity. A closed bodied, two-seat variant was also available known as the Sportsmans Coupé.
As was the convention at the time, the cars could be bought in chassis only form and a number of coach-building firms produced their own body styles fitted out to customers specification. Principle among these was the coach-building firm of Jarvis. The M type was certainly a popular car, judged by the relatively large number built, especially considering the niche market that existed for small, two-seat sports cars.
The information above provided by Triple-M register